- A state-of-the-art scooter only manufacturing facility
- Honda starts the next wave of economic development in and around Vithalapur, Gujarat
Honda strengthens its ‘Make in India’ resolve by investing in Gujarat =>
- Honda 2Wheelers invests INR 1,100 crore directly at its 4th plant
- Honda’s 22 suppliers invest additional INR 1,100 crore as they set up ancillary plants in Gujarat
Skill India gets a boost =>
- Honda creates over 3,000 job opportunities at its new 4th plant
- Honda’s linked suppliers usher in another 6,000 indirect employment opportunities
New manufacturing highs =>
- Honda to manufacture 1.2 million units of only automatic scooters at its 4th plant
- Commercial production of initial 6 lac units starts today, 2nd line to add another 6 lac units to start operations in mid of 2016
- Honda’s total 2Wheeler production capacity in India to increase by 26% to 58 lac units by 2016 end
Powering a Green Tomorrow with its advanced manufacturing technologies=>
- Environment friendly Zero Liquid Discharge plan with Rain-water harvesting system
- State-of-the-art technology like 24-hour fully operational Robotic Press shop (First time in Honda’s 2wheeler operations worldwide), Vacuum Cooling technology in Die Casting etc.
Aggressively investing to ‘Make in India’ for India and the world, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. (HMSI) today inaugurated its landmark fourth manufacturing plant at Vithalapur (Mandal taluk, Ahmedabad district, Gujarat) in India. Honda’s latest green factory has come up in a record time of 13 months!
The historic ceremony was graced by chief guest: Mrs. Anandiben Patel (Hon’ble Chief Minister of Gujarat),Mr. Noriake Abe (Operating Officer, Chief Operating Officer – Asia and Oceania Regional Operations, Honda Motor Co., Ltd.), Mr. Shinji Aoyama (Operating Officer and Director, Chief Operating Officer, Motorcycle Operations, Honda Motor Co., Ltd.), Mr. Toshiyuki Shimabara, (Operating Officer, Executive Incharge of Motorcycle Production, Motorcycle operations, Honda Motor Co., Ltd), Mr. Keita Muramatsu (President & CEO – Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd), Mr. Toshinobu Motai (Chief Production Officer, HMSI), Mr. V Sridhar (Senior Vice President & Director – Corporate Office Production, HMSI), Mr. Anupam Mohindroo (Senior Vice President & Director – Purchase Head office, HMSI) and Mr. Yadvinder Singh Guleria (Senior Vice President – Sales & Marketing, HMSI).
Elaborating how Asia Oceania region (which includes India) contributes 56% to Honda’s global sales (2Wheeler, automotive and power product) and how India leads the growth momentum, Mr. Noriaki Abe, Operating Officer, Chief Operating Officer – Asia and Oceania Regional Operations, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. said,
“In case of 2wheelers, ASEAN countries contribute 13.8 Million Sales which is 80 % of Honda’s global unit sales with the production facility in 9 countries. India is the fastest growing economy in the world and is one of the most important and fast growing markets for Honda. With this vision of growth, today we have achieved a new milestone for our business in India. We are inaugurating our 4th factory in Gujarat. This will make India to attain No. 1 position in all ASEAN countries.
We would expect this growth momentum to continue for Indian market as well as expect Indian operation to be export hub for ASEAN countries.
Our goal is not only to expand our operation, but to contribute to the prosperity of society in India and Gujarat. This plant would be a benchmark plant in India not only in terms of volume, but safety, quality, morale and human aspect.”
Detailing on how it is a matter of great pride that Gujarat is the home of state-of-the-art scooter only manufacturing facility and Honda’s future expectations from India, Mr. Shinji Aoyama, Operating Officer and Director, Chief Operating Officer, Motorcycle Operations, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. said,
“India plays a key role for Honda’s 2wheeler business. In 2015 Honda’s global sales of all products was 28 million units out of which global 2wheeler sales stood at 17 million units. Today, 25% of the total Honda two-wheelers sold across the world come from India. We will continue to invest in technology, for the Indian market. Through training and cross market collaborations, we want to make India Honda’s technology hub as well. Driven by the visionary growth-centric outlook of the Government, there is an increased focus on investing in roads and infrastructure. These factors imply that the best days for the scooter market in India, are yet to come!”
Elaborating on the trend of increasing demand for automatic scooters in Indian market and how bringing a scooter only plant in India makes business sense for Honda, Mr. Keita Muramatsu – President & CEO, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. said, “Increasing Scooterization, a trend seen earlier in developed markets of the world, is the key driver for Indian 2Wheeler industry today. Leading this change from the front is Honda 2Wheelers – the undisputed market leader in this segment in India with a market-share of 56% and growing. Gujarat is an extremely productive market for Honda. We have a market share of 62% of the scooter segment here. As we gear up to take up this challenge of meeting the customer demand, Gujarat is an ideal home and a springboard to achieve greater heights. Now, the Honda automatic scooter you ride will not only be “Made in India” but also “Made in Gujarat.”
ANNUAL PRODUCTION CAPACITY:
Spread over 250 acres, Honda’s Fourth plant operations are scheduled in two phases. The first production line of 6 lac units’ annual production will soon be followed by the 2nd Line of additional 6 lac units’ annual production in the middle of 2016. In total, Honda will manufacture 1.2 million automatic scooters annually from its fourth plant.
The new Fourth plant will increase HMSI’s total annual production capacity to 5.8 million units, including 1.6 million units at first plant (Haryana), 1.2 million units at second plant (Rajasthan), 1.8 million units at third plant (Karnataka) and another 1.2 million units at the fourth plant (Gujarat).
EMPLOYMENT & INVESTMENT GENERATION:
With its fourth plant, Honda 2Wheelers is giving a big boost to economic development in Gujarat. Honda and its suppliers have together invested close to INR 2,200 crore and generated nearly 9,000 new employment opportunities in the State!
Directly, Honda’s fourth plant will employ close to 3,000 Associates and entails a total investment of INR 1,100 crore. Indirectly, 22 existing and new suppliers have followed Honda in setting up their manufacturing facilities in Gujarat. In total, suppliers have made an additional investment of INR 1,100 crore and created 6,000 additional employment opportunities at their plants.
A PLANT OF MANY FIRSTS:
Honda’s fourth 2Wheeler plant has many technology firsts. This is Honda’s first 2Wheeler plant worldwide where the entire press shop will be fully automated and operated by robots 24-hours.
For the first time in its Indian 2wheeler operations, Honda has introduced vacuum cooling technology and nitrogen pressurization in die-casting, use of digital eye technology in various processes and traceability of in-house parts with QR codes in machine shop. Honda has also introduced higher automation to reduce operator fatigue through fully automated press shop, material handling robots for full frame in weld shop and automatic transfer of front fork assembly in frame assembly.
A GREEN FACTORY IN TRUE SENSE:
The new plant is as much environment friendly as it is technologically advanced.
Over 1/3rd of the total plant area is a dedicated green zone. This is the first of Honda’s 2Wheeler plant to introduce an INTEGRATED ZERO LIQUID DISCHARGE FACILITY closely aligned to Honda’s 3R principle of – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
To co-exist and harmonize with local society, the 4th factory infrastructure has been designed under Honda’s concept of “Joy to the Next Generation”. Maximum natural lighting and ventilation coupled with adoption of LED lights proactively reduces energy consumption during production. Use of intelligent automations reduce fatigue and stress levels of our associates. As a “Green Factory” concept, Honda’s fourth plant has a planned internal rain harvesting system.
POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION TO SOCIETY:
With its philosophy of ‘Being a Company that society wants to exist’; Honda has accelerated development in the Ahmedabad district with the establishment of its Fourth plant. Investing close to INR 60 million in and around Vithalapur, Honda is empowering local population to emerge as main beneficiaries of this growth story.
As an extension of its global corporate philosophy, Honda’s CSR approach in Gujarat focuses on holistic economic progress, social enrichment, better healthcare facilities and infrastructure development with environment conservation.
Honda several CSR initiatives till date include:
- Infrastructure development: Honda 2Wheelers has constructed a RCC road to cover entire Vithalapur village and installed 80 solar powered lights to lighten community areas in Vithalapur village.
- Healthcare: Honda is reaching out to 24 villages in and around Mandal taluk with its Mobile Medicare Units (MMUs) in association with HelpAge India. Honda is also assisting local population with 500 financially assisted cataract operations in Gujarat by March’16. Additionally, Honda has already brought healthcare closer to doorstep of 3,000 villagers by conducting 33 essential medical tests free of cost and plans to increase the net of beneficiaries to 10,000 people by March’16.
- Clean Drinking water: Taking a lead in ensuring a healthier tomorrow for local population, Honda has started establishing 15 clean drinking water projects with RO technology in and around Vithalapur expected to benefit over 35,000 people.
- Contributing to Skill India: Empowering today’s youth with skills for better employability, Honda has invested INR 80 lacs in this social cause. For youth, Honda 2Wheelers has adopted an ITI at Petlad village under the PPP model of Gujarat government and aims to educate 400 youth every year at this center. Likewise, empowering nearly 300 women every year with soft skills is the livelihood center at Becharaji village near Vithalapur.
- Green Tomorrow: Honda has also launched Harit Udaan- a rural livelihood support community tree plantation program. This project entails plantation of 10,000 fruit bearing trees in 7 villages of Gujarat.