- Set-up with investment of Rs 850 crore, ‘CIT’ to design & develop world-class products for global markets
- Talent pool of more than 500 engineers from around the world
- State-of-the-art laboratories & design studios under one roof
- 16 km long modern test tracks with 45 different surfaces to simulate Indian and international road conditions
Achieving a historic landmark in its illustrious journey, Hero MotoCorp Ltd. (HMCL), the world’s largest two-wheeler manufacturer, today formally inaugurated its world-class ‘Global Centre of Innovation and Technology’ (CIT) in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Built with an investment of Rs. 850 crores, the CIT is a reinforcement of Hero’s commitment to innovate sustainable mobility solutions, for the world, in India.
The sprawling facility houses the best global technologies in product design & development, testing and validation. The CIT also boasts of world-class test-tracks; within the campus. The 16 kilometre-long tracks have 45 different surfaces to simulate real world road conditions, both Indian and global.
Home to over 500 automotive experts with global and regional expertise, the operations at CIT will be headed by Dr. Markus Braunsperger, Chief Technology Officer.
Commenting on the occasion, Dr. Markus Braunsperger, CTO, Hero MotoCorp said, “The CIT is the new home of our R&D team and the commencement of operations here is a major milestone in our endeavour to ramp-up the product development competency to global standards at Hero. Within this facility we are establishing new work processes and enhancing our technical skills to global benchmarks. We will compete globally, attracting the best talent from India and across the world. The CIT will become a unique workplace for engineering talent in India, bringing our R&D Vision to life – energizing smart mobility technology.”
The CIT, apart from the world-class infrastructure, is also a one-of-its-kind facility, housing all aspects of Research and Development under one roof: including self-sufficient facilities for New Product Design, Prototype manufacturing, Testing and Validation.
True to Hero’s commitment of creating a sustainable future, the CIT has advanced green technologies imbibed into its design, ensuring eco-friendly operations. Testament of these efforts, is the Platinum rating granted to the Centre by Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) with a rating of 91 points, making it the highest rated facility among the manufacturing sector in India. Designed by international Architects & Design consortium, the CIT maintains HMCL’s highest ecological standards.
As with other Hero facilities across the globe, the CIT will also generate direct and indirect employment in the region and assist in it’s the socio-economic development. The local community stands to benefit from the growing economic and development activity initiated due to the CIT. In just a few years since commencing its solo journey, HMCL has significantly scaled-up its in-house R&D capabilities to develop consumer oriented and market relevant products. The company has already established the credentials of its R&D function with the successful launch of Maestro Edge & Duet scooters – the first of its products designed and developed by Hero’s in-house R&D team.
Excerpts- Mr. Pawan Munjal, Chairman, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer Hero MotoCorp Ltd.
“The CIT is the result of our bold vision to position Hero MotoCorp as the leading source of innovation and green technology. This facility is a giant stride in our relentless endeavour towards strenthening our in-house technology capabilities. The CIT is a defining step, not just for Hero, but also for the India Story to truly blossom on the global stage as a technology powerhouse. Rich in diversity, the CIT brings together a multi-national group of automotive experts, creating an environment of engineering excellence and innovation. With the CIT now becoming operational we have the ideal combination of world class infrastructure and talent pool to ‘Innovate in India’, not just for the country but for the world.
Highlights of Green Technologies and Design Elements at CIT
- The 11-storey ‘ICONIC TOWER’ designed in a manner that each floor plate orientation is different to have maximum view and light
- WATER & ENERGY OPTIMISATION through design innovations
- Vegetables grown using advanced ‘HYDROPONIC’ technique on three acres of the rooftop of the CIT buildings;vegetables used for consumption in the cafeteria
- The orientation of the buildings aligned with the wind direction, thus ensuring NATURAL VENTILATION and reduced load on cooling systems
- Advanced & more efficient ‘BIG FOOT’ air handlers, which also cool the cafeteria with smart mode
- 22 PONDS created at site to ensure maximum recharge through rain water
- Special ‘GREEN MACHINE’ concept in the Boulevard area – Special Flex piping concealed within the Boulevard flooring and intergraded with Big Foot handlers, reduces the load on cooling systems. The heat of boulevard area is transferred through close loop water system through these pipes to a pond, where the earth natural cooling at 8 mts depth absorbs the heat & again cools the water through the natural process
Highlights of Laboratories, Studios and Testing at CIT
- MULTIPLE LABORATORIES for Part, Function and Vehicle verification & validationI Material testing | Components/system performance & Simulation | Part level durability | Vehicle Performance & Durability | NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) | Chassis/Transient/engine dynamo-meters | Anechoic chamber | Road simulator (two posture rig) | EMC (Electro Magnetic Compatibility) and ESA Lab
- CONCEPT DESIGN STUDIOS equipped with latest Design software and clay modeling/milling facility
- In-house PROTOTYPE FACILITY for all kind of parts delivered through automated machines
- World-class TEST TRACKS to simulate all Indian and international road conditions
- Fully-equipped DESIGN OFFICE having latest simulation software